skip to main content

Gas Safety

As a landlord we are responsible for making sure the gas appliances we own are working safely and efficiently. It is important that gas appliances are checked and serviced regularly.

We will check your gas boiler and the appliances we own every year, we do service your own appliances such as fires that are connected to our chimney systems but if it is found to have issues/faults that may lead to the appliance not operating correctly then it will be isolated and made safe by the engineer.  The remedial work will then be down to you. We will not check gas appliances we do not own, such as your cooker. If you have a new gas cooker or other gas appliances then you should arrange to have them checked and serviced every year.  All checks should be done by a person who is “Gas Safe registered” this is a legal requirement and that they are registered as a gas engineer who can make sure it’s safe.

Gas leaks

If you think there is a gas leak in your home, act straight away.

  • Call the emergency number 0800 111 999 immediately and notify MVH. Do not use a mobile in your home if you suspect a leak. Go outside or to a neighbours house and do not return to the property.
  • Turn off your mains gas supply, if you know how to.
  • Turn off all gas appliances.
  • Open doors and windows to get rid of the gas.
  • Don’t turn any electrical switches on or off – light switches or doorbells.
  • Don’t use matches, naked flames or cigarettes.

Carbon monoxide (CO) – can kill but you can’t see, taste it or smell it.

CO is toxic, colourless, tasteless, odourless, and non-irritant, it’s harmful to humans and animals.

What makes CO poisoning extremely dangerous is its insidious onset- and often fatal consequences.  It affects mental ability and incapacitates people without them knowing anything is wrong.  Any sudden exertion by an affected person may cause collapse, so that he or she cannot escape from the contaminated location. The result is often fatal.

 

Symptoms of CO poisoning

The effects of CO poisoning can be very much like flu:

  • Severe headaches
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Tiredness
  • General body weakness
  • Victims’ face can also take on a cherry red coloured appearance.

Health & Safety Advice

  • The victim(s) should immediately leave/be removed from the contaminated area to the open air and inhale pure oxygen, if available.
  • The victim(s) should be kept at rest, avoiding any unnecessary excursion (this can be fatal)
  • Always seek medical advice

You must do everything to ensure you’re own and others safety at all times.

Other precautions you need to take are:

  • Adequately ventilate all effected areas
  • CO is lighter than air during combustion and will gather at high level as the room fills it then becomes lower in the room and will travel to adjacent rooms.

 

Carbon Monoxide Detection

Providing the gas appliance is installed, serviced and adjusted correctly and there is an adequate supply of fresh air, combustion of the gas will normally be satisfactory.

However, under adverse weather conditions or where an alteration to the building has taken place this could have an adverse effect on the safe operation of an open flued appliance.

The appliance could break down or the flue could become blocked in between services.

The use of CO alarms provides gas users with added protection and the early detection of such gases can prevent a gas related incident taking place.

CO alarms should not be used as a first line of defence against the effects of CO.  Regular gas safety checks and maintenance and correct installation of appliances are of greatest importance.

Landlord’s responsibilities

  • The GSIUR place duties on landlords in relevant premises in both the private and public sector, to ensure that all gas installation pipe work, gas appliances and chimney systems owned by them are maintained in a safe condition.

Landlord’s duty of care.

  • Under section 3 of the health and safety at work act their duty of care is to maintain a chimney system serving a gas appliance owned by the tenant.
  • The landlords obligation is to ensure that any chimney system that serves a tenants own appliance is maintained to effectively remove products of combustion safely.

Related Links

Find a Gas Safe Registered engineer
Gas Safe Register

Important

If you have a carbon monoxide monitor and it makes a sound for no reason you must contact:

TRANSCO on 0800 111 999 & Merthyr Valleys Homes as soon as possible.