skip to main content

Home Contents Insurance


Do I need it?

Home contents insurance protects your belongings against events such as fire, theft or water damage. If you do not have contents insurance you may not be able to replace your belongings if they are stolen or damaged.

Merthyr Valleys Homes holds buildings insurance which covers costs of damage to the structure of the house or bungalow or flat – but this does not cover tenants’ and leaseholders’ personal belongings.


What does this mean?

For example, if you have a burst pipe which damages ceilings, walls, furniture, clothes or electrical equipment, the Merthyr Valleys Homes buildings insurance policy would cover the damage to the building – such as the ceilings and walls – but not the damage to your furniture, clothes or electrical equipment. You need your own home contents insurance policy to cover this.


How can I get cover?

We can help our tenants and residents obtain home contents insurance easily and at a price that is affordable.  While many people often hope that nothing will happen to their belongings, sometimes things can go wrong unexpectedly.

With a special scheme called My Home arranged in conjunction with Community Housing Cymru and the National Housing Federation and Merthyr Valleys Homes tenants and residents can protect their belongings and gain peace of mind knowing if the unexpected happens they have cover. Visit the My Home Content Insurance website for more information.


Merthyr Valleys Homes will only cover damage to the structure of your home, we do not cover your personal belongings.