What is a rechargeable repair?
A rechargeable repair is a repair that is not Merthyr Valleys Homes’responsibility, as it has arisen from willful damage neglect or careless behaviour by a tenant.
Under what circumstances will tenants be recharged for repairs?
We will recharge you if we identify any of the following:-
- Deliberate damage to a property caused by a tenant, their family or friends.
- Neglect of a property
- Accidental damage to a property
- Unauthorised alterations to a property/garden
- Damage caused to a property following a lawful raid by the Police or Customs and Excise Officers
- The property and gardens require clearance at the end of the tenancy
- Fumigation of a property is required either during the tenancy or at the end of a tenancy (as directed by Public Health)
- Vandalism caused to the property by a third party
- Storage of goods is required following an eviction
- We have to obtain a Court Order to access tenanted properties to carry out repairs
What will happen if we carry out rechargeable repairs at your home?
As a tenant, you will be given the option of either doing the work yourself or using your own contractor. If you chose this route, you will be provided with a specification of the work we want undertaken and you will need to make sure that you comply with the specification that we give you. You must also ensure that you complete the works within the following timescales:-
- Routine repairs – 28 working days
Completion of the works must be undertaken within a maximum period of 28 working days.
If you want Merthyr Valleys Homes to undertake the work for you, you will be given an estimate of the cost of the works. All estimates will be provided within five working days of the visit. You will then need to sign an agreement form confirming that you agree that the item is rechargeable and you will be expected to pay for any works before we commence them.
What if I am a leaseholder?
The lease will identify a leaseholder’s responsibilities. Maintenance of the structure and all communal areas is the responsibility of Merthyr Valleys Homes.
Contact us on either freephone 0800 085 7843 or 01685 727772 for more information.