Although we are not currently putting Solar Panels on homes, we are keen to put more up in the future. So if you like the idea and would like to show an interest in any or all of the renewable energy upgrades then please get in touch.
We will look into the suitability of your property, please be aware due to Merthyr Tydfil’s valley position not all properties will be suitable.
Different types of Solar Panels
Solar Thermal Panels
In simple terms solar panels are fitted ideally to a south facing roof at a 35’ pitch. The panels then collect the suns radiation and transfer the heat to a closed loop connected to a hot water store. From here the hot water collected from the sun goes to your taps via your existing system. This will help:
- Hot water throughout the year: the system works all year round, though you’ll need to heat the water further with a boiler or immersion heater during the winter months.
- Cut your bills: sunlight is free, so energy generated will reduce costs.
- Cut your carbon footprint: solar hot water is a green, renewable heating system and can reduce your carbon dioxide emissions.
Electricity is produced from sunlight through a process called solar photovoltaics. Photovoltaic panels are made of semi-conducting materials, so when the sunlight strikes, it is converted into electricity. The advantages are:
- You can get paid for the electricity you generate: the government’s Feed-In Tariffs pay you for the electricity you generate, even if you use it.
- You can sell electricity back to the grid: if your system is producing more electricity than you need, or when you can’t use it, you can sell the surplus back to the grid.
- You can cut your carbon footprint: solar electricity is green, renewables energy and doesn’t release any harmful carbon dioxide] or other pollutants. A typical home solar PV system could save over a tonne of carbon dioxide per year – that’s more than 30 tonnes over its lifetime.