Your Tenancy Responsibilities
As a tenant of Merthyr Valleys Homes you will be issued with a tenancy agreement, which lists out your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. If you have any questions or queries regarding your tenancy with us please contact us or your Community Housing Officer.
Remember: You need to notify us immediately of any changes in your circumstances.
Types of Tenancy
There are two types of tenancy –
- Assured Shorthold (New tenants)
If you are a new tenant you will be on an Assured Shorthold tenancy for 12 months. As long as the tenancy has been conducted in a satisfactory manner during the 12 months then the tenancy will automatically convert to an assured tenancy on the 12 month anniversary of the tenancy start date.
- Assured Tenancy
Refer to your tenancy agreement for more information or contact your Area Housing Officer.
Your Rights and Responsibilities
Important: Assured Short hold tenants do not have the same rights as Assured Tenants – please refer to your tenancy agreement for full details.
As a tenant you have certain rights that are fully explained in the tenancy agreement. Before you exercise these rights please check whether or not our permission is required. These rights include;
- Right to occupy.
- Right to take in lodgers or sublet your home (Assured Tenants only).
- Right to make improvements to include right to compensation (Assured Tenants only).
- Right to repair.
- Right to consultation.
- Right to information.
- Right to exchange including mutual exchange (Assured Tenants only).
- Right to succession.
There are a number of tenancy conditions that each tenant must comply with which are outlined in the Tenancy Agreement and include;
- Paying your rent on time.
- Reporting of repairs.
- Using the property as your only or principle home.
- Allowing access to MVH staff or contractors hired by MVH- (please remember to ask members of staff for identification)
- Maintaining your home and garden.
- Use of communal areas.