skip to main content
Select Page

How to make a Complaint

What is a complaint?

A complaint can be made if you are dissatisfied with any aspect of MVH’s services. This may include:

  • The standard and quality of the service provided by MVH or its contractors
  • The way staff or other representatives of MVH have conducted themselves
  • The way requests for information have been handled
  • A lack of action, or failure to follow procedures

If you are approaching us for a service for the first time (for example reporting a repair, requesting information etc), you should first give us the opportunity to respond to your request.

Where possible, we will deal with things there and then rather than try to sort them out later.  If you have a concern, please raise it with the person that you are dealing with.  If they cannot resolve the complaint, they will advise you how to formally raise a complaint.

How to formally complain
  • By letter to our Head Office at Ty Brychan, 22 Lansbury Road, Gellideg, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 1HA
  • By telephone – either by ringing the main line (0800 085 7843) or the complaints line (01685 727767)
  • In person to our Head Office at Ty Brychan, 22 Lansbury Road, Gellideg, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 1HA
  • By e-mail –
  • By requesting and completing a complaints form and sending to our Head Office at Ty Brychan, 22 Lansbury Road, Gellideg, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 1HA

Assistance can be provided to help you report a complaint. For example, this may include providing complaints information in a different language or format (including Braille, large print, audio etc).

Dealing with a formal complaint

We will deal with your complaint in an open and honest way.

  • We will acknowledge your complaint within two working days
  • An Officer, Manager or Director will review your complaint, and we will aim for a full written response to be sent to you within 21 days of receipt of the complaint.
  • If your complaint is more complex or serious, it may take longer to investigate. If this is the case, we will contact you to explain why it will take longer to investigate, and give you an estimated timeframe.
Appealing against a decision

If you are not satisfied with our response, then you have the right to appeal. You must write to us within 21 calendar days of receipt of our response outlining the reasons as to why you are unnhappy with our decision, and how you would like your complaint to be resolved. Your complaint will be reviewed by an independent complaints panel

The panel will make a decision, and will aim for a full written response to be sent to you within 28 days of receipt of your appeal. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the appeal, you may take your complaint to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.

Public Services Ombudsman for Wales

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales is independent of Merthyr Valleys Homes and can look into your complaint if you believe that you personally, or the person on whose behalf you are complaining:

  • have been treated unfairly or received a bad service through some failure by Merthyr Valleys Homes
  • have been disadvantaged personally by a service failure or have been treated unfairly

The Ombudsman expects you to bring your concerns to our attention first and to give us a chance to put things right.

You can contact the Ombudsman by:

Phone: 0300 790 0203



Writing to: Public Services Ombudsman for Wales, 1 Ffordd yr Hen Gae, Pencoed CF35 5LJ

Time limitations for making a complaint

Normally we will only be able to look at a complaint if you tell us within three months. This is not intended to affect people’s statutory rights, but it is better to look into any issues while they are still fresh in everyone’s mind.

What we expect from you

We believe that all complainants have the right to be heard, understood and respected. However, we expect you to be polite and courteous in your dealings with us.  We appreciate that there may have been upsetting or distressing circumstances leading up to a complaint.  However, we will not tolerate aggressive or abusive behaviour, unreasonable demands or unreasonable persistence.