skip to main content
Select Page

Living with us

Gas Servicing

We are required by law to carry out gas safety inspections each year on the gas appliances we own.

We will check and service appliances owned by Merthyr Valleys Homes, however if you have installed your own appliance you will need to arrange your own annual safety check and provide Merthyr Valleys Homes with a copy of the safety certificate.

It is essential that you let the gas service engineer into your home to carry out this important work. If you do not give us access to carry out the gas service, there is a legal process we will follow that will allow us entry to your home. If we need to use these powers you will be charged the full legal costs as well as the cost of forcing entry. You will also be in breach of your Tenancy Conditions and therefore your tenancy with Merthyr Valleys Homes will be at risk.

Check out our Gas Safety advice.

Smoke detectors

All our homes are fitted with at least one smoke detector which will either be hardwired or battery operated. You are responsible for replacing any batteries. If you need help to test your smoke alarm battery because you are an older tenant or are less mobile, contact Safer Merthyr Tydfil on 01685 353999. If you think the smoke alarm if faulty, please contact us immediately to report the problem.

Damp and Condensation

Condensation happens when moisture in the air comes into contact with a cold surface e.g a window – the more moisture there is and the colder the surface the more likely you are to have condensation. This is why you will see it more when you cook, dry clothes or have a bath and shower. If you do not wipe away condensation you will get mould and mildew spores.

Following these simple steps can minimise condensation:

  1. Produce less moisture – Dry your washing your outside, cover pots and pans when cooking or if you have a tumble dryer make sure the vent leads to the outside.
  2. Wipe away the moisture – Just opening a window isn’t enough, you will need to make sure you wipe away the moisture daily.
  3. Ventilate to remove moisture – If you have extractor fan, make sure you use it.
  4. Heat your home a little more – We understand that if money is tight, turning on your heating more may not be an option but keeping your heating on low for longer periods can be cheaper than turning it on and off.

For more information about condensation, its causes and solutions read our ‘Condensation leaflet’ in the download box above.

Gardens and Communal Areas

It is your responsibility to ensure that your garden, this includes trees and hedges, are kept in a good condition. Hedges and trees should not exceed 6ft in height – hedges should be trimmed to ensure they are not causing an obstruction.

You must keep your garden free from refuse and rubbish. Most household waste can be disposed of at your local council recycling depot.

Japanese Knotweed

This non native weed is highly invasive and capable of exposing weakness in buildings, foundations, concrete and tarmac and taking over your garden.

What to do if you have Japanese Knotweed in your garden

  1. Let us know. We have a programme of works to deal with this and we will include your home in these works.
  2. Don’t cut it; dig it out, burn it or put it in your garden waste. It can spread very easily.

For more information and advice read our ‘Japanese Knotweed leaflet.’ in the download box above.


Pest control

If you have a problem with pests, contact Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council on 01685 725000. The cost of the treatment is the tenant responsibility.


You are allowed to keep a pet in your home, providing they do not cause a nuisance to your neighbours. We do not permit tenants in high rise block to keep pets and tenants of low rise flats with a communal area need to write to us for permission.

Keys and fobs

We do not keep spare keys to your home. Please make sure you get a spare key cut, if necessary and keep it in a safe place. It could be useful to leave it with a trusted friend or relative who lives nearby.

If you forget or lose your key and a forced entry is necessary, you will be responsible for the cost of the repair or lock change.

Burst and leaking pipes

If you discover a burst or leaking pipe:

  1. Turn water off at the stopcock
  2. If the electrics are affected turn off the electricity at the consumer unit (assuming that this isn’t affected by the water)
  3. Switch off the central heating and the immersion
  4. Open all taps to drain the water, but remember to collect water for drinking and flushing the toilet.
  5. Report the burst or leak to our Customer Services Team immediately on 0800 085 7843
Frozen pipes

During the winter weather, water pipes can freeze – this can cause problems for your boiler, toilet cistern, sinks and basins. To help prevent frozen pipes;

  1. Keep the heating on low.
  2. Periodically run the taps and flush.

If pipes become frozen;

  1. Contact Merthyr Valleys Homes immediately on 0800 085 7843.
  2. Turn off water at the mains.
  3. Turn off boiler.


Home content insurance

We insure your home, but not your contents. It is your responsibility to insure your contents, such as electrical equipment, furniture and jewellery from the risk of fire, theft or damage. We strongly recommend that you take out contents insurance so you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing your items are covered.

Related Links

Pest Control
Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council

Safer Merthyr Tydfil

More Information

If you’re confused or you want more information about any of the information on this page please contact us on 01685 727772 or 0800 085 7843.