skip to main content
Select Page

Rent and other charges

To live in one of our homes, you will need to pay rent. It is important that you do this as it is a condition of tenancy, plus this money is used to provide services, such as repairs to your home. Pay your rent online here.

When to pay rent

We charge a weekly rent. This is to be paid every Monday for the week ahead.

We give the option of paying weekly, fortnightly, 4 weekly or every month for the week, fortnight, 4 week or month ahead.

Important: If you are paying by direct debit, you can pay any day of the week.


Rent Statements

We will send you a copy of your rent account quarterly; this sets out the rent we charge you and the payments you have made. You should be aware that if you get Housing Benefit we only receive this every four weeks, so the balance on your statement may show an arrear for the weeks in between these payments from Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council

Housing Benefit

If you have a low income, you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit to help with your housing costs. For more information on making a claim, or to work out if you may be entitled to help visit Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council website. There is a ‘Benefits Calculator’ that you can use to work out if you are entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

If you are claiming Universal Credit you can ask the DWP for help with your Housing Costs , you will be asked by the DWP for proof of your tenancy and rent charges. We can help you to do this to ensure that the correct amount is paid. Housing Costs will generally be paid to you with your personal allowance; you will then need to pay your rent.

Service Charges

Some tenants have to pay separate charges for additional services, such as caretaking, heating or cleaning. These charges will form part of your weekly rent and will be set out in your tenancy agreement if they apply to you. Certain charges are eligible to be paid by Housing Benefit.

We will only introduce new services that may result in additional service charges after consultation with tenants. The aim will always be to improve the management if your home.

Supporting People Charges

Supporting people charges usually apply to Sheltered Housing Schemes and pay for services such as Scheme Managers, Wardens or lifeline emergency services.

If these charges apply to you they will be stated in your tenancy agreement or, in respect of lifeline services, at the point of installation.

If you do not pay your rent, you are breaking your tenancy agreement.

We will always take action if you do not pay your rent.

You may lose your home if you do not make arrangements to pay your rent in full when it is due.

Related Links

Housing Benefit Calculator
Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council

Budgeting and Managing Money
Money Advice Service


Struggling to pay your rent?

We understand that this can be a worrying time and we are here to help. We offer a range of different help, support and advice, all of which is confidential.

We appreciate that it can be difficult to come to us, but we are committed to helping find a solution and providing you with support.

Don’t be tempted to borrow off a Loan Shark or other disreputable money lenders – get advice.

Contact us

T: 01685 727772 or 0800 085 7843