skip to main content
Select Page

Universal Credit and you


Universal Credit is the benefit designed for the working age to help those on a low income in or out of work.

The Department for Work and Pensions began the full roll out of Universal Credit in Merthyr Tydfil in June 2018 and aim to complete by 2024.  If you are claiming a benefit and have a change in your circumstances or you need to make a new claim for benefits, you may need to claim Universal Credit.

The sooner you can prepare for the changes Universal Credit will bring, the better.

 What is Universal Credit replacing 

Universal Credit is replacing a number of current benefits and tax credits including;

– Income based job seekers (JSA)
– Housing Benefit
– Income related employment and support allowance (ESA)
– Income support
– Child tax credit and;
– Working Tax Credit


How will it affect you?

If you receive any of these benefits now, it’s likely that you receive these separately at different times through the month. Universal Credit will change this; it will consolidate your benefit into one payment, once a month paid directly into one bank account.

At the moment you may have chosen for your Housing Benefit to be paid directly to us. With Universal Credit, you will receive the money directly and will need to arrange to pay your rent to us.

When you claim UC, it will take up to 5 weeks for the payment be made into your bank account – you need to think about how you are going to manage during this time.

More information is on the website

Council Tax Reduction is not included with your Universal Credit, you will need to apply separately via the Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council website

Making a Claim

you will need to gather your information before making the claim.  The claim us made and managed online and you may need to call Universal Credit to book your first appointment.  If you dont attend your appointments your claim will be closed down.

see our useful documents links to find out what you will need to make a claim.

We are here to help

Whilst we, as your landlord, may not be your obvious choice to come for help, we are here to help you. You won’t be on your own.

You can visit our office at Lansbury Road, Gellideg, arrange for a home visit, or attend the Calon Las (Gurnos) drop in service every Wednesday. We can give you lots of practical help, including:

  • Help and guidance on making your claim and managing your online journal.
  • Provide a benefits check so you have an understanding of what you may be entitlement to, this will help you with preparing for the change.
  • Help apply for council tax reduction.
  • Providing you with information on fee free bank accounts.
  • Providing a tenancy certificate to confirm tenancy and rent charges – you may need this to prove your identity and ensure you receive help towards the rent.
  • We can help you claim for a discretionary housing payment if you are struggling financially.
  • Referring you for ongoing Universal Credit Support with out Universal Credit Support Officer

Contact us today if you would like to find out more or arrange an appointment. The team will be happy to help

Related Links

Apply for Universal Credit

Understanding Universal Credit

Managing Money
Money Advice Service

Running A Bank Account
Money Advice Service

Helpful documents

Get UC read – helpful checklist (171Kb PDF)